► Speed and Distance sums
1) Tap A alone will take 10 minutes to fill a tank at a rate of 12 litres per minute. If Tap B is turned on 2 minutes after Tap A has been turned on, the tank will be filled 5 minutes later. Find the flow rate of Tap B.
Ans :- Flow rate of Tap B is 7.5 litres.
2) At 9 a.m., Mr Liu drove from Town A to Town B at an uniform speed of 60 km/h. One hour later, Mr Mah also drove from Town A to Town B at an uniform speed. Mr Mah overtook Mr Liu 180 km from Town A.
(a) Find Mr Mah's speed.
(b) How far apart were they at 2.30 p.m.?
Ans :- a) Mr Mah's speed was 90 km/h
b) they were 75 km apart.
3) A car and a van left Town A for Town B at 8 a.m. The car travelled at a constant speed of 80 km/h and the van travelled at a constant speed of 60 km/h. The van took 30 more minutes to pass the 5⁄8 point. Find the distance between the two towns.
Ans :- 192 km.
4) 2 cars raced from Malacca to Desaru. When the first car reached Desaru in 4 hours' time, the second car was 1⁄5 of the total distance behind. If the speed of the second car was 10 km/h slower than the first car, find the distance between Malacca and Desaru
Ans :- 200 km.
5) Vana took 6 h to drive from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. Hamzah took 4 h to drive from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. If they both started off at 2 p.m., what time did they pass each other?
Ans :- At 4.24 pm they passed each other.
6) A train was 200 metres long. It travelled through a tunnel at a uniform speed of 15 metres per second. The entire train took 2 minutes to pass through the tunnel. Find the length of the tunnel.
Ans :- The tunnel was 1600 m long.
7) Jerry left home at 5 a.m. and drove to Sunrise Resort at an average speed of 80 km/h. At the 1⁄5 mark, he was overtaken by Kent. When Kent arrived at the resort 4 hours later, Jerry still had 80 km to go.
(a) How far away was Sunrise Resort from Jerry's house?
(b) At what time would Jerry arrive at the Resort?
Ans :- a) 500 km
b) 11.15 am.
8) Dean and Fiona drove from Town A to Town B at constant speeds. They left at the same time. Dean drove 18 km/h faster than Fiona. When Dean arrived at Town B 4 hours later, Fiona still
had 2⁄9 of the distance to cover. Find Fiona's speed.
Ans :- Fiona's speed was 63 km/h.
9) Tom and Jerry drove from Happy Valley to Rivervale at uniform speeds. Tom left at 8 a.m. and drove at 60 km/h. Jerry left 1 hour later and overtook Tom at 1 p.m.
(a) Find Jerry's speed.
(b) How far apart were they at 11 a.m.?
Ans :- a) 75 km/h
b) 30 km.
10) On the way to SV Town, Hans overtook Chris when they were 120 km from SV Town. When Hans reached SV Town, Chris still had 20 km to travel. Chris finally arrived at SV Town 15 minutes later.
(a) Find Chris's average speed.
(b) Find Hans' average speed.
Ans :- a) Chris' average speed is 80 km/h
b) Hans' average speed is 96 km/h.
11) Tom and Jerry ran in a race. When Jerry had completed the run in 20 minutes, Tom had only run 5⁄8 of the distance. Tom's speed for the race was 75 m/min less than Jerry's.
(a) Find the distance of the race.
(b) Find Tom's speed in m/min.
Ans :- a) The race was 4000m
b) 125 m/min .