1) Last year, the ratio of girls to boys in a Drama Club was 3 : 1. This year, 270 new members joined the club and there are now twice as many girls and four times as many boys as there were last year. Find the number of members in the Drama Club last year.
Ans :- 180.
2) Mr. Lim bought 3 times as many toy soldiers as dolls. He spent $1224 on the toy soldiers and $748 on the dolls. A doll cost $10 more than a toy soldier. How much did one doll cost?
Ans :- One doll cost $22
3) On a flight, the passengers sitting at the Business Class section are issued 4 gift vouchers each while those sitting at the Economy section are issued 3 gift vouchers each. The ratio of the number of passengers to the number of gift vouchers is 5:17.
A) What fraction of the passengers is seated in the business class section? .
B) If the total number of vouchers given to the passengers is 425, find the number of passengers sitting in the economy section.
Ans :- a) 2⁄5 of the passengers seated in the business class
b) 75 passengers sitting in the economy section.
4) A shop at Togo had a total of 500 men's and women's watches. The ratio of the number of men's watches to the number of women's watches was 7:18. If the shop sold some women's watches and 20 men's watches, the ratio of the number of men's watches to the number of women's watches became 1:2. What was the ratio of the number of men's watches sold to the number of women's watches sold?
Ans :- 1 : 6 .
5) In a library, the ratio of the number of Chinese books to the number of English book is 5:8. When 60 new Chinese books and 24 new English books are added to the library, the ratio of the number of Chinese books to the number of English books became 1:1. Find the number of English books after the increase.
Ans :- 120
6) Jane had a total of 156 red and yellow beads in the ratio 7:6. After she gave away an equal number of each type of bead, the number of red and yellow beads left was in the ratio 7:3.
A) Did the fraction of red beads that Jane had increase, decrease or remain the same?
B) How many beads did she give away altogether?
Ans :- a) increase
b) 126 beads
7) A farmer had a certain number of ducks and drakes in his farm. If the death rate of the drakes is thrice the death rate of the ducks, there will be 400 drakes left by the time all the duck die. However, if the death rate of the ducks is 5 times the death rate of the drakes, there will be 960 drakes by the time all the ducks die. Find the total number of ducks and drakes in the farm.
Ans :- There are total 1200 Drakes and Ducks in the farm
8) At a school anniversary dinner, 5 times as many chairs and tables were arranged in the school hall at first. Then another 19 tables and 46 chairs were added. The ratio of the number of chairs to the number of tables became 4:1. What was the total number of tables and chairs in the hall?
Ans :- There are total 245 tables and chairs in the hall.
9) The ratio of the number of 50-cent coins to the number of 10-cent coin coins in a box was 5:3. Five 50-cent coins were taken out and exchanged for 10-cent coins of equal value. The money was then put into the box. The ratio of 50-cent coins to 10-cent coins became 1:2.
A) Find the amount of the money in the box.
B) If 10 ten-cent coins were taken out and exchanged for fifty-cent coins and the money returned to the box, what is the new ratio of the number of ten-cent coins to the number of fifty-cent coins?
Ans :- a) $14
b) 27 : 5.
10) Gavin had $250 more than Priscilla. On Wednesday, the ratio of Gavin's money to Pricilla's money became 3:2 after each had spent ½ of what they had. On Thursday, after Gavin had given some money to Priscilla, the new ratio became 9:16.
A) How much did Gavin spend on Wednesday?
B)) How much did Gavin give to Priscilla?
Ans :- a) Gavin spent $375 on Wednesday
b) Gavin gave $150 to Priscilla