1) The ratio of the amount of money Taylor had to the amount of money Ming Loong had was 5 : 11. After Ming Loong had lost $46 and Taylor had won $38 at a casino, they had the same amount of money. How much money did Ming Loong have at first?
Ans :- At first Ming Loong had $154
2) Gavin had a box that contained fifty-cent coins and twenty-cent coins in the ratio of 2 : 7. when he took out 8 fifty-cent coins, exchanged them for some twenty-cent coins, and then put them back into the box, the ratio of the number of fifty-cent coins to the number of twenty-cent coins became 2 : 9. Find the total amount of money Gavin had in the box.
Ans :- Gavin had $67.20
3) Tom, Dick and Harry shared some stickers in the ratio of 3 : 6 : 2. During a game, Dick won half of Tom's stickers but lost 16 stickers to Harry. As a result, Harry now has twice as many stickers as Tom.
(a) How many stickers had Tom before the game?
(b) How many stickers did Dick have at the end of the game?
Ans :- a) Before the game Tom had 48 stickers
b) At the end of the game dick had 104 stickers.
4) A profit was shared among 3 business partners, Adam, Ben and Carl in the ratio 4 : 5 : 6. When Carl gave $15 000 to Ben, they both had the same amount of profit. How much more profit did Carl receive than Adam at first?
Ans :- At first Carl recieved $60000 more profits than Adam.
5) The ratio of Alice's savings to Edward's savings was 5 : 8. Alice and Edward decided to share the cost of buying a Wii game console in the ratio 1 : 3. Edward used half of his savings to pay for his share and Alice paid $160 for her share. What was their total savings after paying for the console?
Ans :- Their total savings was $920.
6) The ratio of the amount of Paul's savings to Benny's savings was
3 : 5 . After Paul received a part of Benny's savings, the ratio of Paul's savings to Benny's savings became 9 : 7. The amount of savings Paul received from Benny was $24, what is the total amount of savings the boys had?
Ans :- The boys had total $128
7) The figure below (not drawn to scale) is made up of three rectangles X, Y and Z placed such that they overlap S and T. The ratio of the area of Rectangle X to the area of Rectangle Y to the area of Rectangle Z is 6 : 4 : 1. The ratio of the area of rectangle S to the area of Rectangle T is 3 : 1. If the area of Rectangle Y is twice that of the area of Rectangle S, what is the ratio of the total area of the shaded parts to the total area of the unshaded parts? Express the ratio in its lowest terms.
Ans :- 17 : 8
8) The ratio of the number of apples to the number of pears at a fruit stall is 4 : 5. After ½ of the apples are sold, there are 45 more pears than apples. How many pears are there?
Ans :- There are 75 pears.
4) Ashlyn, William and Tom had a total of 400 stamps. Ashlyn gave 45 stamps to William. William gave 56 stamps to Tom. In the end, the ratio of the number of stamps Tom had to the number of stamps Ashlyn had to the number of stamps William had was 9 : 6 : 10. How many stamps did William have at first?
Ans :- At first William had 171 stamps.
10) In a pastry shop, the ratio of the number of chicken pies to the number of sausage rolls was 4 : 5. When 5⁄8 of the chicken pies were sold and another 12 sausage rolls were added on to the shelf, the new ratio of the number of chicken pies to the number of sausage rolls was 1 : 4.
(a) How many chicken pies were sold?
(b) How many chicken pies and sausage rolls were there at first?
Ans :- a) 30 chicken pies were sold.
b) At first there were 108 chicken pie and sausage rolls.