1) Ahmad and Sadia were given some money each. If Ahmad spent $25 and Sadia spent $75 each day, Ahmad would still have $2100 while Sadia had spent all her money. If Ahmad spent $75 and Sadia spent $25 each day, Ahmad would still have $900 while Sadia had spent all her money. How much money was given to each of them?
(Note : This sum can be solved using Skill 5 : one is left with Some while another is left with None.)
Ans :- Ahmad : $2250 , Sadia : $450
2) Lila and Sheela were given some beads. While making necklaces, if Lila uses four times as many beads as Sheela, Sheela will still have 932 beads when Lila has used all her beads. If Lila uses half as many beads as Sheela, Sheela will still have 221 beads when Lila has used all her beads.
a) How many more beads Sheela has?
b) Altogether how many beads they are given?
Ans :- a) 513 Beads, b) 1097 Beads
3) Mrs Lee's bookshop has some fiction and non fiction books. if she sells 60 fiction and 30 non-fiction each day, she will still have 284 fiction books while all her non-fiction books have been sold out. If she sells 20 fiction and 60 non-fiction each day, she will still have 2134 fiction books while all her non-fiction books have been sold out.
a)how many fiction books does she have?
b)how many non-fiction books does she have?
Ans :- a) 2504 Fiction books , b) 1110 Non-fiction books
4) Sam and Tony were given some money. Sam can buy 10
muffins and Tony can buy 15 muffins. If Sam is given $8 more and Tony is given $4 more, Sam can buy 16 curry puffs and Tony can buy 20 curry puffs.
a) How much money did Sam have at first?
b) How much did each curry puff cost?
Ans :- a) Sam had $24 , b) Each curry puff costs : $2
5) At first , Edward had some $10 notes and $2 notes in the ratio of 3:8 . After exchanging two $10 notes for $2 notes, the ratio of $10 notes to $2 notes became 1:3. Find the amount of money Edward had.
Ans :- Edward had $736
6) There were 280 students in a school. 30% of them were girls while the rest were boys. When the school reopened after a holiday, more students had taken admission in the school. The new students had boys and girls in the ratio of 4 : 5. After the new students were admitted, 40% of the student population was girls.
a) How many girls were admitted?
b) How many student were there in the end?
Ans :- a) 280 girls , b) 910 students
7) The tickets for a show are priced at $10 and $5. The number of $10 tickets availible is 1 ½ times the number of $5 tickets. 5 out of 6 $10 tickets and all the $5 tickets were sold. The amount of money collected from the sale of the tickets was $5600. How much more would have been collected if all the tickets were sold?
Ans :- More $800 would have been collected.
8) There were 1980 members in a reading club last year. This year, the number of male members has been reduced by 1⁄10 and the number of female members has been reduced by 25%. There are as many male members as female members now.
(a) How many male members are there in the club now?
(b) What is the total membership now?
Ans :- a) There are 810 male members now.
b) There are total 1620 members.
9) Superman, Batman , Spiderman and Catwoman had some savings. Superman increased his savings by 80%, Batman decreased his by 50% and Spiderman gave 1⁄5 of his savings to Catwoman. They each had $630 then.
(a) How much savings had Superman at first?
(b) Find the total amount of savings that all of them had at first.
Ans :- a) At first Superman had $350
b) At first they had total $2870.
10) 2⁄5 of the books on bookshelf A is equal to 1 ¼ of the books on bookshelf B. if new books are added on both bookshelves in the ratio of 2 : 3, there will be 444 books on bookshelf A and 489 books on bookshelf B. Altogether how many books are added to the bookshelves?
Ans :- 735 Books