1) Ashley paid $1200 for two LCD television sets during a clearance sale as shown in the diagram below. If he had not bought them during the sale, how much more money would he have to pay for the two television sets?
Ans :- He had to pay $720 more.
2) In January, a book was sold for $30. In February there was a promotion and the price of the book was reduced. As a result, the number of books sold in Feb. was 50% more than Jan. The amount of money collected in Feb was 20% more than Jan. Find the price of the book during the promotion.
Ans :- Price of the book was $24 during the promotion
3) In December, toys in a shop were sold at $15 each. In Jan the price of the toys was reduced. As a result, the number of toys sold increased by 50% while the amount of money collected increased by 25% as compared to Dec. Find the price of the toys sold in Jan.
Ans :- $12.50
4) Mr. Lim spent his monthly salary on food and transport, with some money left. He spent 25% of his monthly salary on food. He spent $120 less on transport than food. If he had $800 left. What was his monthly salary?
Ans :- His monthly salary was $1360
5) Jim spent 20% of his monthly salary on food, 20% more on books than on food and $280 less on transport than food. If he had $1000 left, what was his monthly salary?
Ans :- Jim's monthly salary was $2000
6) Alice had $84 while Betty had $70 at first. Both of them went shopping and Alice spent 25% as much as Betty. As a result, she was left with twice as much money as Betty. How much was Alice left with after shopping?
Ans :- Alice left with $76 after shopping
7) Archie had $20 more than Barbie at first. Archie received another 20% of her money while Barbie received another 60% of her money. As a result, they had the same amount of money. Find the total amount of money they had at first.
Ans :- They had total $140 at first.
8) Jane had 50 more stickers than Mary at first. Jane gave away 30% of her stickers while Mary lost 25% of her stickers. As a result, they had the same number of stickers left. Find the total number of stickers they had at first.
Ans :- At first they had total 1450 stickers.
9) To register for a camp, each child had to pay $2. The number of boy registered was 20 more than the number of girls. However, on the day of camp, the number of boys who came decreased by 10% while the number of girls increased by 5%. If 408 children came for the camp, how much money was collected at the registration?
Ans :- $840 was collected at the registration
10) A box contains 80% blue balls and 20% green balls. 40 blue balls and 4 green balls were removed from the box. The remaining balls were then divided into groups of 8 balls each. In each group of 8 balls, there are 6 blue balls. Find the total number of balls in the box at first.
Ans :- At first there were 140 balls in the box.
11) If Mr. Cai sells a car at a discount of 5% of the usual price, he will make a profit of $5 000. If he sells the car at a discount of 20% of the usual price, he will lose $1 000. Find the cost price of the car.
Ans :- $33000.