1. Shop A sold a laptop for $1200. This was 125% of the price of a similar laptop sold in shop B.
(a) Find the price of the laptop in shop B
(b) During a sale, both shops offered the same percentage of discount.
Aishah bought the laptop from shop B and found that $175.20 less than the discounted price in shop A.
What is the percentage discount given during the sale?
Ans :- a) $960
b) 27% .
2) Mrs. Lim baked 480 cheese cookies and chocolate cookies altogether. She gave 75% of her cheese cookies and 50% of the chocolate cookies to her mother. She was left with 160 cookies. How many cheese cookies did she bake?
Ans :- 320.
3) Cindy had four times as many postcards as Annie. After Cindy gave 20% of her postcards to Jane and Annie gave 10% of her postcards to Jane, the number of Jane's postcards increased by 75%. Jane had 252 postcards in the end. How many postcards did Cindy have at first?
Ans :- 480.
4) Mega Electronic Store sold 200 MP3 players during a sale. 45% of them were sold at a discount of 40%. The remaining MP3 players were sold at a further 15% discount on the discounted price.
a) How much would a customer save if he bought the MP3 player at the discount of 40%?
b) Find the total amount received from the sale of the MP3 players.
Ans :- a) 36.80
b) $10129.20 .
5) Judy earned a fixed salary every month. In January, she spent 30% of it. In February, she spent 40% more than what she spent in January. If she spent a total of $1350 for the two months, what was her monthly salary?
Ans :- $1875.
6) 20% of the people who attended a party were children. 45% of the adults were men. There were 240 more men than children. How many women were at the party?
Ans :- There were 60 women at the party.
7) The number of members in a stamp-collectors club increased by 40% from March to April. However, the number of members dropped by 25% from April to May. If the difference in the number of members between March and May was 9, how many members were there in May?
Ans :- 189.
8) Mr. Tan earned $8 600 more than Mr. Lim. After Mr. Tan spent 20% of his salary and Mr. Lim spent 70% of his salary, Mr. Tan had $3 430 more than Mr. Lim in the end. If Mr. Lim was given a pay increment of 15%, find Mr. Lim's new salary.
Ans :- $1265.
9) Shop X sold a television set for $2400 which was 25% less than the price which Shop Y sold it for. During a sale, both shops offered an equal percentage of discount on the television set. Mr. Sam bought the television set in Shop Y and paid $520 more than the discounted price in Shop X.
(a) Find the price of the television set in Shop Y before the sale.
(b) What was the percentage discount given during the sale?
Ans :- a) $3200
b) 35% .
10) Annie, Benny, Charlie and Danny shared a jar of cookies. Annie took 35% of the cookies and Benny took 15% of the cookies. Charlie took 60 more cookies than Benny. Danny took the remaining 360 cookies. What percentage of the cookies than Benny. Danny took the remaining 360 cookies. What percentage of the cookies did Charlie take?
Ans :- 20 %.
11) Devi's salary and Minah's salary are in the ratio 4:5. If Devi's salary is increased by 30%, by what percentage must Minah's salary be increased or decreased so that their salaries will be the same?
Ans :- 4% increase .