► Pattern Sums
1) Jake used sticks to form cubes and arranged them to form a pattern as shown below.
|Figure||Number of cubes||Number of stickes|
(a) How many sticks are required to form Figure 5?
(b) Which Figure will require a total of 145 sticks to form?
Ans :- a) 41
b) figure 21 .
2) David used coins to form a series of L-shaped patterns. The first three patterns are shown below.
(a) Complete the table below.
|L - shaped pattern||Number of coins|
(b) Write down the number of coins that David would need to form the 100th pattern.
(c) A pattern is formed with 601 coins. Which pattern would it be?
Ans :- a)9, 11,13
3) The pattern below is made up of hexagons and dots. Look at the pattern and answer the following questions.
a) How many hexagons are required to build Figure 9?
b) How many dots will be needed to build Figure 6?
c) Which figure will need 108 dots to build?
Ans :- a) 45 hexagons
b) 40 dots
c) Figure 10 will need 108 dots..
4) Each pattern in the sequence below is made up of square tiles. Look at the patterns below and answer the following questions.
(a) How many square tiles are there in the 25th pattern?
(b) In which pattern would 399 square tiles be used?
Ans :- a) 51
b) 199 .
5) Study the given patterns carefully.
a) How many shaded squares will there be in Pattern 6?
b) What will the total number of squares in Pattern 19?
c) In which pattern will there be 336 shaded squares?
Ans :- 1) 28
c) 83 .
6) (a) Look at the pattern below. How many flowers are there in Pattern 6?
(b) Look at the pattern below, what will be the 99th number?
Ans :- a) 51
b) 6 .